Wednesday, September 18, 2013

The New FIERY Doritos Locos Tacos from Taco Bell!

More of the same, are something altogether unexpected?


I know what you’re thinking. Does the world REALLY need a third Doritos Locos Tacos, especially one released so soon after the second iteration?

You know, I was skeptical, too. While I was reasonably happy with the original, nacho-cheese-flavored  DLT, I can’t say I was too enamored by the Cool Ranch variation released just a couple of months ago. Upon hearing about this tertiary offering -- the FIERY Doritos Locos Taco -- I had my reservations. Really, what were the odds of Taco Bell merely speckling some chip dust on one of their Volcano Tacos and calling it good enough here? In my estimates, that would be considerably high, indeed.

At this juncture, I suppose elaboration on the DLT phenomenon is pretty much unnecessary. It’s your standard taco, only the shell is shellacked with Doritos flavorings -- really, what more do you need to know about the product than that?

I was quite suspicious of the FIERY DLT, especially since the “FIERY” was in all capital letters, being all ostentatious and shit. Beyond the crimson red shell, there really wasn’t much of an aesthetic difference between this product and the other two -- or really, any other taco, for that matter.


As you can no doubt see, you have two FIERY DLT options. There’s your standard DLT taco -- which comes with beans and/or meat, cheese and lettuce, and the special edition SUPREME FIERY DLT, which has an added smattering of sour cream and tomato chunks on it. It’s also more expensive, by a couple of dimes and nickels, I believe.

The most surprising thing about the new FIERY DLT, I suppose, is that it actually tastes, you know, good. As in, really, really good, and surprisingly distinct for a Taco Bell menu item. As stated earlier, it would have been ridiculously easy for the establishment to just re-coat its famed Volcano Tacos in some Doritos spices, but these newfangled offering actually tastes A LOT different from that other red-shelled, spicy comestible hawked by the eatery.

Of course, the FIERY DLT is a bit spicy, but that’s not what sold me on it. What sold me on it was its surprising, twangy lime taste, which really complemented the other spicy textures on the shell. I’ve never actually tried Fiery Doritos before, so maybe the experience here will be a little less drastic if you’ve tried those snacks before, but I was literally taken aback  (well, no, not really) by the item’s taste. Not only is it the best DLT to hit Taco Bell yet, it really is one of the more unique tasting products on their menu, too.


Long story short? The FIERY Doritos Locos Tacos are pretty freaking great, and you should try one. Or seventeen. After all, this is America, you know…

No comments:

Post a Comment